Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Importance of Birth Preferences

I can't stress enough how important it is to have in mind your birth preferences and to relay them to your midwife, OB or whatever other birth attendants you plan to have.  Additionally, it is important to find out the rules and regulations at the hospital or birthing center you'll be birthing at, if you so choose to birth at one. 

Recently, I read a very disturbing article.  A laboring woman in New Jersey walked into a hospital, with a 50% cesarean section rate, and refused to sign the consent form many hospitals present their laboring mamas with.  The consent gives the hospital a right to perform any interventions necessary, including intravenous drip, antibiotics, fetal monitoring and a cesarean section.  I remember signing this consent at all three hospitals I gave birth at, without a second thought.  I've watched mamas do it.  This woman denied these interventions and refused to consent.  However, she was not opposed to signing the consent if the time came where she would need to.  She wanted to be able to assess the situation at hand and then decide.  Sure, why not?  After she gave birth, the hospital and child protective services took her baby.  That was three years ago.  She and her husband still have not seen their baby.  They have been battling it out in courts during this time.  Read the above-mentioned article and this one for more information.  Here is the site for the National Advocates for Pregnant Women. 

I honestly couldn't believe what I was reading while I was reading it.  I could see doctor's freaking out and calling social services in.  But I can't really understand why this became a three-year battle.  I can't understand why it was even an issue.  If hospitals are going to take your children away from you if you don't sign the consent, then why have a consent form?  Shouldn't it just be law that they can do whatever they want and you have no right to your own body?  (that was sarcasm, if you couldn't tell)  I have a hard time swallowing that social services came in and thought it was a good idea to take this newborn baby away from the parents because they exercised their personal rights. 

After absorbing all this information, I felt it absolutely necessary to remind mamas to make sure that they know their rights and to express them to their birth attendants, as often as you deem necessary. 

Happy birthing!

No comments:

Post a Comment