Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Obstetrician on C-secions in MA

I read this article only moments ago.  I'm still processing it.  I immediately posted it on my Facebook page.  I read this blog commenting on it.  I, too, am angry at what was written.  I also find it very informative. 
It wasn't too long ago that I was a doula for a birth that just about mirrored the birth described in the article.  Except these parents were not thrilled with the outcome.  They are indeed very much in love with their little love, but not with the experience. 
It simply amazes me that doctors, many who are parents themselves, can look at birth as they do...like a blind robot.  It's not as if they necessarily ignore what is front of them...they simply don't see it, process it, like the mother might be.  It's simply mechanical with a means to an end.  And that is all that matters. 

At a recent Las Vegas conference on obstetrical safety, some 125 members of the audience were asked to raise their hand to indicate their personal C-section rate. “Less than 15 percent?” the speaker asked. Two hands in the large auditorium went up. “Fifteen to 30 percent?” Half the hands were up. “More than 30 percent?” The rest. Then the speaker asked the room, “How many of you care?” No one raised a hand, and the room broke out in laughter.


I'd like to believe that someone would endure eight-plus years of schooling, long hours and sleepless nights to be able to help people.  These obstetricians who simply don't care aren't doing their job.  Sure, they care about the mother and baby coming out of the hospital safely...who doesn't?  However, "safely" is subjective, I suppose.

Is it safe to subject your patient, the mother, to depression or symptoms of PTSD?  In a study done
in Sweden, "76% of the moms in the study had experienced their delivery by emergency cesarean section as a traumatic event."
Additionally, in a study comparing the psychological effects of an emergency cesarean, planned cesarean, instrumental and normal vaginal deliveries.  Surprise, surprise - the psychological effects of an emergency cesarean and instrumental vaginal delivery "should be regarded as a pointer with respect to possible post-traumatic stress."
When inflicting this sort of trauma on a woman, why is it then okay to send her home with a newborn?  That same woman, who feels robbed, violated, hurt, angry, disillusioned, depressed, anxious, alone, unworthy, lacking and/or just plain wrong, is expected to be happy about her experience.  I'm probably crossing a line here, but it seems like obstetric rape. 

I birthed three babies vaginally.  I had pitocin and epidurals.  I did not feel like something was taken away from me because I didn't go into it with the thought that I had a right to anything else. 
With what I know now, I read articles like Dr. Wolfberg's and think, "gross."  It's just gross.  It makes me want to put on clean clothes.  It makes me want to yell at people.  It makes me cry for those it adversely affects.  It makes me hug my children tighter. 

I'm fortunate to have this information.  Thank you, Dr. Wolfberg.  I now have another article in my arsenal to present to mamas who want a natural childbirth experience, and steer them away from sterile, uncaring hospitals, and into the caring, colorful, loving arms of a homebirth circle, where she might stand a chance.
 
If you've time to read more, here's an article about a mother who was charged with child abuse for refusing a cesarean.  She and her baby were apart for three years while this case was being held in court. Never mind that the baby was birthed vaginally and was perfectly healthy...

No comments:

Post a Comment