Thursday, July 14, 2011

42 Weeks, 2 Days and My First Home Birth

I was privileged and deeply honoured to bear witness to such an amazingly strong mama birthing her 9lb (okay, it was an ounce less, but we'll give her the satisfaction of joining the 9lb'er club!) baby at home in water. 
I got the call that morning and she didn't sound too worried and she wasn't breathing like she was laboring hard.  I said I'd take a shower and eat some breakfast and be on my way.  She agreed and I got in gear.  I arrived at her house an hour and 15 minutes later.  The midwives were there and she was already in water.  By the way, it was the cutest kiddie pool, complete with frogs and turtles smiling at you.
Within an hour, the baby greeted us with such a full head of hair I was jealous of it. 
This was my first home birth.  It was amazingly perfect.  The momma was left to labor down in her own way.  No one told her to lie down or sit back.  No one told her when to push or how to push.  No one was counting or coaching.  Her worries and fears were quelled and her pain was validated.  There was quiet and comfort. 
I'm sure all home births are different.  I'm sure there are some that last days and there's moving and talking and all sorts of things that didn't happen in the hour of labor I was present for. 
No matter.  I am hooked on home birth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment